Thursday, April 27, 2006

TV is my friend.

About 2 months ago Suzanne and I finally bought ourselves a digital video recorder, mainly because I got sick of having a weeks worth of VHS tapes littering the floor and Suzanne got sick of me taping over unwatched episodes of ‘Cold Case’. Think of it like the evil offspring of a VCR and home computer. Twin digital tuners mean that we can record two stations simultaneously while watching a pre-recorded show, and, recording to hard drive also means that we can do away with the 3 hour (or 6 hour on long play) ceiling on recording (who remembers to change tapes mid-week, I certainly don’t)

I distinctly remember thinking when we purchased the box that we will never fill up 40 hours of disk space, and if we do then we need to seriously re-evaluate our lifestyle.

I’ve come close to re-evaluating my lifestyle twice.

And now comes my biggest test – BB06. It’s so easy to say record 7-7.30 pm, Network 10, Mon-Fri, and quickly hit record when I’m going to bed so I can tape ‘Up Late’. (for all you on Imparja Television, Up latre is a live stream with mindless prattle from the studio, usally 11.30 to 1.30am each night).

I like that fact that I’m able to do that, as well as record any other show on a whim. For a few weeks I had ‘Secret KGB Kennedy Assassination Files’ and ‘Secret KGB UFO files’ as well as episodes of Four Corners to watch. Realistically I don’t have enough hours in the day to watch everything we record. Better to have recorded and deleted than to never have recorded at all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to just watch the "people having sex" version of big brother that was on monday nights - I think they said - "no one in Darwin Cares" and stopped bothering with BB up here.



And for the record - Imparja is in Central Australia - we don't have it up here. We have a diferent version of 7 but no channel 10.

I love the "I'll never fill up the ipod/hard drive/spare room/book shelf" that you get.
I remeber when I bought a 3 gig hard drive for my computer and thought "that's the hard drive I'll die with - and now i have a 200 gig hard drive just for my music.

at the moment Emma and I are watching more TV that I download that is actually on TV - so were almost there. Between season five os Scrubs, the daily show, and Dr Who - there's more on bit torrent than the TV. Once I get my new x-box the interconnectivity will be comlete - and i won't even have to move from the couch to change formats.

TV is my friend - but Bit Torent is my life line.

Jimbo said...

Yeah, I never thought I'd fill up the 60 hours in the Foxtel box, or need to record three things at once...

But... but... bit torrent's illegal!

I'm seriously thinking of getting broadband, but it would have to come down to less than $20 a month to cost less than what I'm paying now. I wonder if Optus will give me one free month in every four like they're doing now...

Jimbo said...

Oh, and I just noticed, you've got name changin' fever. The minute Suzanne writes something, you change the name of the blog and remove her name from it?

Peeboo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peeboo said...

Oh yeah, better change it back